Whether you are moving abroad or you are going on holiday – have you thought about taking your vehicles with you? Moving your vehicle from A to B sounds more complicated than it is actually is, and can be achieved simply through the services of a reputable haulage and vehicle transport company. An efficient company can take over all of the complexities for you, giving you peace of mind and allowing you to focus on other parts of your life. This is great for persons who are undertaking a big life change, like moving abroad.
Below, we explain further the reasons as to why you might need to seek the services of a vehicle transport company, and also how to find the right company for you. Read on to find out more.
Situations you need car, boat and caravan transport
There are a variety of situations that would require a car, boat and even caravan transport. Whether you are simply considering this or you haven’t thought about it at all, we take a closer look at the situations where we think you should make this investment as it can be all worthwhile.
Moving abroad can be an exciting and invigorating time for families and individuals of all ages. Whether you are moving to an English speaking company or you are trying a completely new culture and language altogether – it will make sense to bring some home comforts with you. This is why many families decide to export their car to their new country. Having your car with you can be a valuable asset for a variety of reasons, including:
- Having a piece of home with you
- Potentially cheaper than buying a new car out there
- Familiar with the way it drives and operates
- Easy way to explore a new country
However, before you organise car transport, make sure that you check with your chosen country about its driving rules and regulations. For example, you may need to have a different driving license, and you may need to drive on the other side of the road. What’s more, insurance costs could differ too so its always worth weighing up these options.
Going on holiday
If you are going on holiday for weeks or months, and if you are staying within a rural location, it will most likely be more cost-effective to have your car transported to you. Including the benefits listed above, like being familiar with the way it operates and an easy way to explore a new country – having your car with you can give you peace of mind. Additionally – you don’t need to worry about deposit fees and returning the car in a good condition, meaning that you can have a sandy day at the beach free from conscience and worry.
This is the same for boats and caravans – have you always dreamt of sailing your boat along the crystal waters of Croatian Islands or the Bahamas? Or living out of your caravan in a North American and Canadian road trip? With vehicle transport companies – this can all become a possibility.
Selling and buying
Finding a good vehicle transport company can open up the opportunities to potentially sell your car, boat or caravan further afield. Not only does this increase the chances of it selling, but also it means that you don’t have to worry about it being shipped. Plus, it also means that you can buy vehicles from abroad too. This is a great option for people are certain that they want a specific, luxury vehicle but they can only acquire it from another country.
You simply can’t do without your vehicle
For many, their car is equipped with special technology which allows them to drive easily and safely. For example, mobility and steering aids. If you are moving abroad or going on holiday, having your car, van, boat or caravan that is equipped with these is vital to enjoying your time away. If this applies to you or your family member – then make sure you contact a vehicle transport company today.
What to look for a transport company
Now that we have discussed the different reasons as to why you might need vehicle transport, the next step is finding a reputable company you can trust. Luckily, there are many things that you can do to find a transport company that suits you. Below, we have put together questions you can ask a company and also things to look out for on their website and social media pages.
Do they do international transport?
This one may seem obvious, but you need to make sure that your chosen company does international transport. A national company may state that they could do it for you, however, one that explicitly states on their website that they do international transport is likely to be a better option. This is because, they are experienced in the various processes, paperwork and handling of vehicles from coast to coast, and one that is not is more likely to make mistakes.
As mentioned above, a key indication if they offer international transport is if they state this on their website, but keep an eye out on their social media pages too.
Can they accommodate for heavy transport?
Whether you own 4×4 or a large sailing boat, it is ideal if your chosen company has the required experience and training at transporting heavy items. Of course, it is likely that if they are experienced in transporting heavy items, then moving vehicles shouldn’t be too much of an issue. However, it is always worth double-checking.
What accreditations do they have?
Whenever you are thinking about hiring a business for a service, it is always worth checking if they have accreditations. Though accreditations aren’t a requirement, it gives a good indication that they consistently perform to a high standard. This is because they need to be thoroughly assessed before receiving the accreditation. For national and overseas transport companies, keep an eye out for the following:
- CILT, The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport – a membership organisation that is concerned with the movement of goods and their supply chains. Established in 1919 it has over 33,000 members worldwide; so wherever you are based, you are certain to find a provider to suit you.
- FORS, Fleet Operator Recognition Scheme – FORS is a voluntary accreditation scheme that aims to raise the level of quality in fleet operations. With over 5,000 accredited members, and 105,000 accredited vehicles.
- CHAS – Health and safety accrediting scheme making sure that a variety of industries have high standards in health and safety.
- RHA, Road Haulage Association – a trade association solely dedicated to the needs of road transport operators, with over 6,000 members and 80,000 HGV’s.
- ALLMI, Association of Lorry Loader Manufacturers and Importers – Started by the request of the Health and Safety Executive, it is the UK’s only trade association dedicated exclusively to the lorry loader industry.
- Clandestine Civil Penalty Accreditation Scheme – a government-operated scheme, this scheme’s aim is to improve security standards of transportation so no illegal activity occurs.
- CIHT, Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation – this membership body has 12 UK regions as well as international groups. The aim of this organisation is to represent professionals who organise, design, build, plan and operate transport and the infrastructure surrounding it.
- Institute of Customer Service – this organisation aims to improve customer service standards within a range of industries.
Do they have testimonials and experience?
A reputable transport company will most likely have years of experience and positive customer responses under their belt. This is why you should ask and look for testimonials. You can find testimonials on their website, Google or on their social media pages, though these could be biased, it does give a good indication of how well their services perform.
SG Haulage: International Transport Company in Lincoln
Here at SG Haulage, we provide cross country and international haulage solutions around Lincoln, Nottingham, Grantham and other areas. Our company can safely transport heavy haulage in France, Holland, Belgium, and Germany. What’s more, we are accredited by CHAS, FORS, RHA and ALLMI, so you can be assured that you are receiving the very best service in the area.
We pride ourselves on being a multifaceted company that offers a variety of services, as alongside our haulage and vehicle transport, we can also provide comprehensive crane hire. To find out more about us, simply contact us today.